Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Trains and torture

The day wasn't quite as grim as it sounds (I was just after some nifty alliteration). We spend the morning of New Year's Eve at the York Railway Museum, an attraction that is incredibly well renowned in York (it's the number 1 attraction in the area according to TripAdvisor) but only asks for a donation to get in. The museum holds trains from all over the world, and at the time we went, had a special lot of information up about train spotters. The world has changed so much - I can hardly imagine parents letting their children to go down, unsupervised, to train stations to watch the trains now - and it was lovely reading about how exciting it was for kids back then to see a train that carried the number they were looking for.


In the evening we heading to the York Dungeons. Now, I thought this was a museum but it really isn't - it's a series of small, interactive plays in rooms as you walk through what used to be dungeons underneath York. Now, I won't spoil anything, but if you really don't like shock scares, gore and being slightly humiliated, you probably won't like this. That said, I'm not a huge fan of any of the above, but I really did enjoy this - it was very, very funny, you bonded with the people you were on the tour with when you all tried to stand as far away from the performer as possible, and it was generally hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment