Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Exploring the countryside - Sussex & Surrounds

On the 7th of February, a group of international students were released onto the Sussex countryside in an attempt to uncover some of the hidden gems that the English countryside has to offer.

Now, while I am an Australian girl through and through, and therefore no stranger to sights such as Cottseloe beach at sunset, the British coastline is completely different to anything I've ever seen before. Firstly, no sand - absolute madness, but being able to wear shoes on the beach without fear of having sand stuck between your toes is quite nice.

First stop - the Seven Sisters in the Birling Gap. These massive chalk cliffs are absolutely stunning - just have a look for yourself. These cliffs are similar to the Cliff of Dover - so much, in fact, that they're apparently often used as a stand in for those cliffs in movies and TV shows. While erosion is causing the coastline to recede, for now we can enjoy these beautiful cliffs.


Next stop - Beachy Head. Apparently the highest Chalk Sea cliff in Britain, an amazing view is offered from up the top. We were just about blown away while we walked along the cliff top, but the view was worth the messed up hair and chattering teeth. This point offers amazing views down to Eastbourne and is also known for it being the last place soldiers saw as the flew across the Channel.


Who is a fan of Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging? *Raises hand*. Those familiar with the movie will know that it is set in Eastbourne...those not familiar with the geography of England, such as myself, will not realise how close Eastbourne is to Brighton. I was so excited to visit the place where one of my favourite teen movies is set, however upon arriving Erika, Liz (two other fans) and I realised that much of the movie is actually filmed in the much closer Brighton! However the famous beach from the movie is definitely from Eastbourne.

We strolled through town and had lunch (fish and chips for me) before walking along the beach and the pier. Unfortunately much of the pier was destroyed in a fire mid last year, however the repair work takes little away from its beauty. The piers here are something that I think Australians would quite like.


Next stop: Pevensey Castle. Almost 1800 years old, this castle has seen better days but it has so much charm (even if it is lacking a roof). There are so many castles in England just plonked quite casually around the countryside. They rest, almost saying "hi, I'm here, notice me if you want". 


And finally, a stop in Alfriston that encompassed my favourite British pass time - tea and scones (at a tearoom called The Badger, none the less), and a stroll through the beautiful village.


I'll leave you with a shot of me contemplating life while I enjoy a good old fashioned cuppa. I have completely fallen in love with the culture of this country and if anyone dares to tell you that the tea and scones thing is a massive stereotype - not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment