Saturday, 23 May 2015

A Wales of a Time

Considering my school had close ties with Wales, I wanted to head over and see England's next door neighbour for myself. With assignment deadlines looming, I managed to head over for the grand total of 19 hours - and what a jam packed 19 hours they were!

It took three trains to get there, but when I arrived in Cardiff I was stunned by how big and beautiful it was. Cardiff is actually a city, with tall buildings, and this blew me away. I'm not sure what I was expecting but after living in Brighton for 3 months, which is a relatively large city but does not have a skyscraper in sight, I was quite surprised.

My travel buddies, Grant and Amy, had headed over earlier in the day but I arrived at about midnight because I had a dance class before. They, very kindly, walked to the train station to pick me up and walk back with me.

The next day, Grant and Amy had a Doctor Who tour booked, and while it sounded fun, I haven't seen the show and so decided to spend my morning wandering around Cardiff and seeing all of the major sights. My first stop was Cardiff Castle, and as castles go, this was definitely a good one.


In the afternoon I took a boat down to the port, near where the Doctor Who Experience is, so Grant, Amy and I could wander around. It was lovely to enjoy the sun while we explored a little bit of Cardiff's history. 

So, what is my verdict on Cardiff?

Weirdly enough, Cardiff is a lot like Perth (if Perth had castles). The city centre was really similar to ours, while the port had a similar feel to Fremantle. It was quite odd how much I felt like I was at home - I literally could have been walking the streets of Perth.

If you have free time, it's definitely worth visiting however you either need a day or a week. We had almost run out of things to do by the time we left because a lot of the main attractions are quite far out of town and with only a day to explore, we didn't have time to take public transport out to see them. I'd definitely love to return to Wales to explore the countryside - it looks absolutely stunning but without a car over here, I am limited to public transport options.

Cardiff gets a tick from me - we definitely had a Wales of a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment