When I arrived on the 15th of January, I was so excited. I wrote a little note in my phone to open once I had finished:
'I'm writing this on the train from London to Brighton. Just said goodbye to mum and Rachel - it was really sad however once I got on the train, I was so excited. This is where it begins! Six months of excitement, new experiences, wow. I'm hoping that I fit in well and don't kill anyone or myself with my cooking'.
And here I am, five months later, filled with new experiences and adventures, and no: not an ounce of food poisoning.
In all honesty, I didn't think that it would ever end.
The strange thing about exchange is that it is not a holiday, it is not a trip - it is this strange, exciting and wonderful new life that you're thrown into for 6 months and then, just as rapidly, plucked from again.
So, aside from too many new clothes and souvenirs, I am bringing with me an awakened adventurous spirit, a new found confidence in myself, many memories and, perhaps most importantly, some beautiful friends.
When I go home, I want to continue exploring. I want to see new things, try new foods and explore new places and I can do all of this in Perth. But the focus for now is on Brighton, and what it was: the special place it held in our hearts and the memories that we've wrapped our hands around and held close to our souls.
So, here's to assignments submitted way too close to deadlines.
To new friendships.
To new hobbies.
To travel.
To sunsets over the Sussex Downs.
To fish and chips on the Brighton Pier.
To the murderous seagulls who were far too high on the food chain.
To Taylor Swift singalongs.
To adventures, to new memories, and to the time of my life to date.
The journey is not over for me yet - I still have over a month left overseas and I can't wait to explore Italy and Croatia with the wonderful Brittany. However, the main part of my adventure is over and while I already miss it dearly, I am so grateful for the opportunities I have been given, the people who I have met and the places I have seen.

Bye Sussex, thanks for everything.

Bye Sussex, thanks for everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment