How did you afford it?
I worked. A lot. As I had wanted to go on exchange for quite awhile, I started saving very early and worked even harder once my position had been confirmed. I also took our a student loan with the Australian government and won a scholarship from my university. I sold my car (but I didn't end up using as much of that money as I thought). Mum and dad helped me out a bit as well, which was really kind of them.
Did you get homesick?
Nope. Of course I missed my family and friends, but it was very, very prevalent in my mind that I would be returning home after a few months and so it was so important for me to enjoy every second of while I was away. I was mindful that I would be with my loved ones so soon, while I wouldn't get the same opportunity in England again.
What was your favourite place?
I have a few favourites: Stockholm, Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Amalfi, Florence. But of course, London and Brighton hold special places in my heart.
Where did you go?!
Quite a few places! I was so lucky! Munich, London, Brighton, Paris, Cambridge, Bath, Prague, Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, Glasgow, Cardiff, Morocco, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Berlin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Aix en Provence, Waterford, Dublin, Split/ Dubrovnik (and everywhere in between), Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence, Amalfi. Phew!
What do you miss about being away?
I miss the independence and being able to hop over to a different country in the click of a keyboard mouse. It's weird things that I miss - the English chocolates, my bedroom in Brighton and how I only had a suitcase of stuff with me (instead of how much random stuff I have back here in Perth). I miss my grades not counting at uni (ahh, that was wonderful), but most of all I miss the people who I met while I was away.
Would you do it again?
In a heartbeat.
Do you think that you have changed since going away?
I do. I think I have matured in a way, gained confidence and also gained independence. I feel happier, I can cook (marginally) better, I think that I am kinder and I am much more accepting of other cultures.
Is there anything that you would change about your experience?
I wish I had gone over with a little more money - I was able to do almost everything that I wanted but a bit less stress about possibly draining my bank account would have been nice!
Would you recommend studying abroad?
More than anything else. Exchange has been one of the highlights of my life, and the absolute highlight of my university career so far. I have come home feeling completely different, incredibly happy, and much, much better adjusted to being a university student.
Exchange by numbers
Time away: 7 months and 2 days
Time at Sussex: Just short of 5 months
Countries visited: 12 (14 if you don't count the UK as one country)
Amount spent: Let's just. Yep. Not even.
Pairs of jeans torn: 4 (2 from climbing into bunk beds)
Number of times I made my 9am Friday class after getting to bed at 4am after Thursday student nights: 10/11. Not a bad effort if I do say so myself.
Number of friends I made: At least 3.
Photos taken at Stonehenge: 300
Classes studied: 4
Classes passed: Also 4. And the best marks I have received in my university degree so far...with none of them counting for anything!
Overnight bus trips: 2
Plane trips: 15 over my entire time away.
Train trips: too many to count
Number of times I ordered 2kg of spinach, thinking that it was an acceptable amount: Once. It's the kind of mistake you only have to make one time, I think.
Memories made: Millions! And, after looking at my camera, it seems like I photographed the majority of them.
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any other questions about exchange, please feel free to ask me - I will talk your ear off but I'd love to tell you more about Sussex, and I'd really love to help if you've considered studying abroad yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment