So, Barcelona. Definitely one of my favourite places that I have been lucky enough to visit and it still comes to mind as some of the best four days of my trip away.
After landing, I took the bus to my hostel, checked in, and felt very independent as I walked around the corner to the grocery store to buy some snacks and food to cook for dinner. I have to say that at this point I felt impossibly giddy about my new found independence.
For those who
On the first day, I woke up early and lazed around in bed for a few hours reading, before I went on a walking tour that picked my up from the hostel at 10:20. It was one of the free walking tours and it was definitely very informative. It was also how I made my first good friend of Barcelona, Clare, another solo traveller who was over from the U.S.. Clare and I started talking during the walking tour and got on really well. We ended up spending the next few days together and it was so fun to explore a new city with a new friend. The walking tour was fantastic, taking us to many of the iconic churches and sculptures in the centre of Barcelona.
Post walking tour, we had tapas for lunch with another walking tour member before Clare and I headed to the beach for a quick dip of our legs. While we didn't quite make it in the water, I enjoyed having a sandy beach (since when did this become a novelty?) and a lovely sea breeze.
Churros also made an appearance. It would be rude not to.

Our second day was reserved for a second walking tour, because sometimes you have to be a trashy tourist. Our Gaudi architecture tour was booked for the afternoon, and so Clare, Madeline and Ellie (from Clare's hostel) walked around Barcelona for little while before stopping for paella. You've got to do what you've got to do.

But, before the walking tour started, it was time for a quick Cheetah Girls 2: Reunion photo. Because IT TURNS OUT THAT MY THREE NEW FRIENDS WERE ALSO CHEETAH GIRLS AT HEART! (or maybe they were just being polite). Anyway, when in Barcelona...

However, the tour did show us some beautiful architecture...
...Barcelona, you're not bad.
And finally, Gaudi's pièce de résistance: The Basilica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia. Our tour ended here, allowing us to head inside to the downstairs area an hour later for free.
While tickets are essential to get into the main, iconic centre of the Basilica, we were able to see the crypt which still encompassed stained glass windows and beautiful detailing.
A quick hot chocolate and croissant stop later, and it was time to head to Zara for an hour or two. It's important to support the local economy, right?...
Clare, Madeline and I walked up to Park Guell on our final full day in Barcelona and realised when we got there that you need tickets to get in. The park is up an absolutely massive hill and unfortunately, all the tickets for the next four hours were sold out. Important lesson: always check if you need tickets in advance. We begrudgingly made our way down the hill in search of food for a picnic, and after picking up bread, cheese, fruit, juice and pastries (all my diet staples) we walked back up the hill and sat in the free area of the park, enjoying our lunch.
While we were quite rushed in the park because Madeline and I had tickets for entrance into Sagrada Familia, we were still able to see everything. I felt like I was in Cheetah Girls 2 and I have no regrets. While I lack a single artistic bone in my body, Madeline is studying architecture and so was absolutely awed by everything we saw. She was also able to explain the importance of some of the pieces to us mere mortals.
My last afternoon in Barcelona brought with it a trip to see what I had come to Barcelona in the first place for: La Sagrada Familia. Madeline and I had, with fantastic foresight, bought tickets for the same time slot a few days earlier and so were able to experience the wonder of this incredible landmark together.

I was absolutely awestruck by Sagrada Familia (even if I couldn't, and still can't, pronounce it properly). While I have visited many a church during my months away, this one comes to mind as a firm favourite and one that I would definitely visit again.
My final night in Barcelona was spent having dinner with my friend Tanya - we met in New Zealand at the start of 2011, caught up in Washington D.C. at the beginning of 2012 and finally reunited in Barcelona 3 years later! I then met back up with Madeline and Clare so we could kick up our heels in one last night of Spanish heat. While we intended to go salsa dancing, it turns out that there aren't many clubs that do salsa on a Tuesday night and so we ended up at a normal club that seemed to play a lot of rumba music. Perfect.
So, my thoughts on Barcelona:
Writing this a few months later because I am a Bad Blogger (smacks self on hand), I am still awed by my time in Barcelona. I spent my three days there questioning how a city that is famed for its siestas and relaxed attitude could make me feel so alive and how a city that is famed for its generous meals (as many tapas as will fit on my table thanks!) and fantastic food could leave me so hungry for more. So much of what I loved about Barcelona is how independent I felt while I was there, however the city was incredibly special as well and will always hold a special place in my heart for being the home of my first proper solo travelling, as well as being such a lively and vibrant place. Will I be back? Definitely.
And it would be wrong to end without a quotation from the movie that made it all the more fabulous: "You gotta strut like you mean it, free your mind, it's not enough just to dream it come on, come on, get up." Poetry right there.
Until next time,
Laura













No comments:
Post a Comment