Maureen is my mum's cousin and they haven't seen each other since my mother's family left for Australia when she was seven. She lives just outside of Waterford, a city in the south of the Republic of Ireland, with some of her family. I had time for a quick haircut before Maureen picked me up and we headed to her home, about a 25 minute drive from the city centre.
There is something about staying with family that is so relaxing and refreshing. Even though I hadn't met them before, I felt so comfortable around my extended family and it was interesting to discover similarities - hemi thyroidectomies and a shared love of horses are a few. My third cousin, Jade, is 13 and we got on so well. Jade is also into horses and we all chatted about travels and family for a few hours before bed.
On the first morning, Maureen, Jade and I drove out to Bonmahon beach. Ireland obviously is surrounded by water, however I hadn't put two and two together and realised that they have absolutely stunning beaches in Ireland. Funny that.
After our walk, Maureen and I went home while Jade went to see a friend. I relaxed for a few hours before we picked Jade up and then went to see her grandma (my mum's aunt) and go to a nearby town to have some tea and cake. One thing that I can definitely say about Ireland: the cake was absolutely on point. Chocolate mud cake for Jade and me, and they heaped out a massive portion for each of us that kept me full for the rest of the afternoon.
In the afternoon we went to Jade's stables to have a riding lesson. Even though two weeks later my legs were still sore (I hadn't ridden since I had left Australia six months prior), this was one of my favourite parts of my time in Ireland. I rode a beautiful horse called Phantom and Jade was on her pony, Lady. The horses were so well behaved and both the indoor and outdoor schools were beautiful. There were cows and mountains in the background and it was a picture perfect afternoon.
The following day while Jade was at her Gaelic football training, Maureen and I walked along another nearby beach where families spend a lot of time over the summer holidays. As you can see, it's in a protected cove shape and when the tide is out, this provides a safe playground for children and adults alike.
My time in Waterford was not nearly enough and I already cannot wait until I can travel back. It was amazing exploring my heritage and finding out about different relatives who I didn't even realise existed - apparently I have a lot of distant, distant cousins in America! I have been so fortunate while overseas to be looked after by new and old family alike - I have felt so at home wherever I have been with family.
No comments:
Post a Comment